The winners of the Group Leisure & Travel Awards 2017 were revealed at a glittering ceremony held at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole hotel on Wednesday 11th October.
Voted for by readers of Group Leisure & Travel and marking its 20th year, the awards recognise the best destinations, attractions and providers in the group travel industry.
22 accolades were handed out overall. Winners included York, scooping Best UK Destination, and Ireland, taking best International Destination for a second time.
Royal Ascot, Legoland Windsor Resort and Waddesdon Manor were also among the attractions recognised for their group travel offerings.
London took honours with Best Guided Tour and Best UK Attraction being won by The London Bridge Experience & London Tombs, and the Coca-Cola London Eye respectively.
The awards were co-presented by cutting-edge magician, Ben Hanlin alongside Group Leisure & Travel publisher Rob Yandell. Ben is best known for his ITV2 show, Tricked, wowing celebrities across the globe and has become a YouTube sensation.
Group Leisure & Travel editor, Keeley Rodgers, said: “We have been rewarding the stars of the group travel industry for 20 years this year and what better way to celebrate than by honouring our 2017 winners. Some of the best providers, attractions and destinations have graced this stage – many more than once!
“They are all winners and demonstrate that if you do it right, not just once, you reap the rewards, receive the votes and most importantly, retain and attract business.”
The 2017 categories and winners are as follows…
• Best UK Attraction for Children: LEGOLAND Windsor Resort
• Best Coach or Tour Operator - UK Tours: Dunwood Travel
• Best Ferry or Fixed Link Operator: Irish Ferries
• Best Airline: Jet2.com
• Best Event For Groups 2016/2017: Royal Ascot
• Best Christmas Experience: Waddesdon Manor
• Best Guided Tour: The London Bridge Experience & London Tombs
• Best Accommodation For Groups: HF Holidays
• Best Holiday Park: Parkdean Resorts
• Best Shopping Experience: intu Trafford Centre
• Best Group Dining Experience: Warner Leisure Hotels
• Best Theatre Production: The Lion King
• Best Cruise Line: Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines
• Best Ticketing Agency: Group Line
• Best UK Destination: York
• Best International Destination: Ireland
• The Excellence Award 2017: Glen Thomas, Travelsphere, Just You & G Adventures
• Best Group Tour Operator - Short Haul: Riviera Travel
• Best Group Tour Operator - Long Haul: Travelsphere
• Best UK Attraction: Coca-Cola London Eye
• Group Travel Organiser of the Year 2017: Marian Durbidge, Herts Theatre Club and Go Together Travel Club
• Outstanding Contribution to Group Travel: Harold Burke
A special awards brochure and review will be included in the November edition of Group Leisure & Travel magazine.
Next year’s awards promotion will launch in January. Voting will open next spring. If companies are interested in supporting the initiative go to the Awards Partners page for more information.
For more about the awards head to www.groupleisureandtravel.com/awards