Sir Ian McKellen will be touring the country in 2019 on an 80-venue tour, visiting locations such as London, Northampton, Oxford and Norwich.
Known for his contributions to theatre and screen, Sir Ian McKellen is set to tour the country from 25th January on a new one-man tour, opening in London. The tour will visit 80 venues in celebration of McKellen’s 80th birthday.
Ian McKellen On Stage will feature a variety of performances and characters which McKellen has portrayed over the years, from the great wizard Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings, to his roles in Shakespearean plays.
It all begins in January with a tour of London from the National Theatre to the Theatre Royal Stratford East, as well as performances in the West End and Outer London. Then, across the country, he will visit theatres large and small with which he has personal connections, including amateur groups he knew as a child and notable playhouses he has played in. Accessibly priced tickets will be available everywhere.
Sir Ian McKellen commented on his upcoming road trip, saying: “I’m celebrating my 80th birthday by touring a new solo show to theatres I know well and a few that I don’t. The show starts with Gandalf and will probably end with an invitation to act with me on stage. In-between there will be anecdotes and acting.”
Selected 2019 tour dates
• Isle of Dogs, London: 25th - 26th January
• Young Vic, London: 30th January
• Richmond Theatre, London: 4th February
• Bristol Old Vic: 19th - 20th February
• Lyric Theatre, London: 3rd March
• New Wolsey Theatre, Ipswich: 8th-9th March
• Swansea Grand: 13th March
• Chichester Festival Theatre: 5th April
• Royal & Derngate, Northampton: 14th April
• Norwich Playhouse: 24th - 25th April
• Aylesbury Waterside Theatre: 6th May
• Cambridge Arts Theatre: 10th - 11th May
• Blackpool Grand: 20th May
• Leicester Curve Theatre: 1st - 2nd June
• York Opera House: 17th June
• Theatre Royal Brighton: 15th - 19th July
• Dundee Repertory Theatre: 9th August
• Orkney Theatre: 28th August
• National Olivier Theatre: 15th September
More dates and venues can be found on the website. GTOs should contact their chosen theatre for details on group bookings.
For more information, visit www.ianonstage.co.uk.
Photo credit: Oliver Rosser, Feast Creative.