Think of these virtual tours as the ultimate wellness retreat where you can zone out and let your cursor escort you through beautiful scenery, sea life and nature parks.
Let’s face it, life can be stressful. Getting away from it all can be a real tonic, except that a certain pandemic has thrown a spanner in the works when it comes to holidays.
Virtual tours aren’t anywhere near as good as the real thing but they are better than nothing. Some are actually quite enjoyable, helping relax your mind and escape from reality through your computer or tablet.
In fact, there are many aquariums, parks and tourist attractions around the world offering virtual tours for free to help people stay curious and occupied. So let’s go…
1. Cliffs of Moher, Ireland
Relax during golden hour by viewing the sunset off the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland (pictured top). You can take a virtual tour of the famous Irish geological landmark on the Cliffs of Moher website.
2. The National Aquarium, Baltimore, USA
Walk through tropical waters to the icy tundra in this floor-by-floor tour of the famous, Baltimore-based aquarium. Navigate through different floors and scenes to explore close to 20,000 animals at the National Aquarium.
The National Aquarium strives to enhance ocean and climate literacy for everyone, drawing from environmental justice principles in its ongoing work around climate change.
You view the virtual tour here.
3. National Parks, USA
Discover the hidden worlds of the National Parks with a virtual tour that explores five of America’s most beautiful parks.
From Kenai Fjords in Alaska to Dry Tortugas in Florida these virtual tours will transport you to another world.
- Kenai Fjords, Alaska: rappel into a crevasse, kayak through icebergs, and watch a glacier recede.
- Hawai’i Volcanoes, Hawaii: fly over an active volcano, explore a lava tube, and look out across volcanic cliffs.
- Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico: fly with thousands of bats, explore incredible formations, and trek by headlamp through a cave.
- Bryce Canyon, Utah: gaze up at the night sky, ride horseback through a canyon, and see hoodoos close up.
- Dry Tortugas, Florida: dive a shipwreck, swim through the third-largest coral reef in the world, and tour a civil war-era fort.
Take this virtual tour by clicking here
4. Georgia Aquarium, Georgia, USA
Sea-dwellers like African penguins and Beluga Whales are the stars of this aquarium’s live cam.
With lots of different live webcams from the Georgia Aquarium such as a Jelly webcam, African Penguin, Beluga Whale, Ocean Voyager, Piranha, Otter, Underwater Puffin and Sea Lion you’ll have plenty of relaxation time to sit and watch all the interesting animals.
See the list of different webcams here.
5. New England Aquarium, Boston, USA
Join New England Aquarium for live presentations, new videos and activities that you can get involved in from home.
Their daily presentations are posted every day. Watch as acquarianists feed the penguins and octopus and the many other animals that the aquarium has to offer. Unwind with the live stream from inside the giant ocean tank exhibit.
Check out their presentations here.
The team at Uswitch compiled this list of what they think are some of the best virtual tours for when you just need to relax.