A range of exclusive group visits and private tours at a selection of official royal residences have been unveiled for 2022 to mark the Queen’s 70th year on the throne.
The Royal Collection Trust has announced a new programme of exclusive deals for pre-booked groups to welcome visitors back to the official residences of Her Majesty The Queen throughout 2022, including Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace, the Palace of Holyroodhouse and Frogmore House.
Some of the improvements that visitors can experience include:
- An enlarged and enhanced Admissions Centre at Windsor Castle and a new introductory space exploring the castle’s 1,000-year history.
- The addition of George IV’s entrance hall and the State Entrance to the visitor route at Windsor Castle.
- Windsor Castle’s first café, created in the medieval Undercroft.
- New multimedia tours and renewed displays of works from the Royal Collection at the Palace of Holyroodhouse.
- A new public garden inspired by the Palace of Holyroodhouse’s earliest gardens.
Highlights for groups
Group tours and private visits are now on sale and include special displays to celebrate Her Majesty The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee and the return of the annual Summer Opening of Buckingham Palace. Some of the main things to look out for include:
- The State Rooms at the heart of Buckingham Palace which provide the setting for ceremonial occasions and official entertaining undertaken by The Queen. The rooms are furnished with many of the greatest treasures from the Royal Collection, including paintings by Vermeer and Canaletto, sculpture by Canova, Sèvres porcelain and some of the finest English and French furniture in the world (22nd July - 31st August 2022).
- A special display of portraits will be included as part of a visit to Buckingham Palace as part of the celebratory year. Portraits of The Queen will be on display, alongside a collection of Her Majesty’s personal jewellery worn for the portrait sittings (22nd July - 2nd October 2022).
- A private guided tour for groups of 15-60 of Windsor Castle’s State Apartments on a journey through 1,000 years of royal history and taking in some of the finest works from the Royal Collection, including paintings from Rubens, Van Dyck and Holbein.
- The State Apartments at Windsor Castle which are furnished with paintings by Rubens, Van Dyck and Holbein. From late September to March, groups can also enjoy the Semi-State Rooms which were George IV’s private apartments and are still used by The Queen for official entertaining. Admission includes St George’s Chapel, one of the most beautiful ecclesiastical buildings in England and the setting for the wedding of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex in May 2018.
- A new tour at Frogmore House which will include the garden and offer a chance to learn more about the Royal Mausoleum for the first time.
During 2022, year-long Platinum Jubilee celebrations are planned throughout the UK, the Commonwealth and around the world as communities are anticipated to come together to celebrate the Queen’s 70-year reign.
For more information about dates and group discounts and to download a digital copy of the Group Visits and Private Tours 2022 brochure visit www.rct.uk